The Washington County Recorder’s Office has a designated passport acceptance agent and will be glad to assist you in completing the necessary paperwork. Passport applications are accepted Monday through Friday between 8:00am – 3:30pm by APPOINTMENT ONLY.  To schedule an appointment call 319-653-7702.

To process your application, you will need to bring the following items to your appointment: 

 Ø  1 recent passport photo – available for $10.00 at the Recorder’s Office.

 Ø  A certified copy of your birth certificate or original citizenship certificate.  

 (Hospital certificates are not accepted)

 Ø  A previous passport may be used instead of a certified birth certificate; however, if you are under 16, a birth certificate is required for parental identification.

 Ø  A current photo ID, such as a driver’s license.

 Ø  A completed application form available from our office or

 Ø  2 personal checks or money orders (Passport office will not accept cash or credit card).

 Additional requirements for applicants 16 or 17 years of age:

 Ø  Must appear in person with a driver’s license or government-issued photo ID and a check signed by a parent or guardian.  If applicant does not have a driver’s license, one parent or guardian must appear with a permanent driver’s license or government-issued photo ID.

Additional requirements for applicants 15 years of age or younger:

 Ø  Must appear in person with both parents or guardian or an affidavit from the absentee parent explaining why he/she is unable to appear.

A passport card is available to facilitate entry at U.S. land and sea ports when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.  The card may not be used to travel by air. 

The Department of State is issuing this passport card in response to the needs of border resident communities for a less expensive and more portable alternative to the traditional passport book.   

To find out the current processing time, passport fees, and other information about passports, as well as online forms, please visit the U.S. Department of State online at

Visa Information: or consult the embassy or consulate of the country you plan to visit.


Passport Renewals

If the following statements apply to your situation you may be eligible to apply for a US passport by mail:

Your most recent US passport was issued less than 15 years ago

You are over 16 years of age

You were over age 16 when your previous passport was issued

Your most recent US passport is in your possession

Your name has not changed since your previous US passport was issued or you have a legal document of your name change.

For more information, see How to Renew Your US Passport at