Birth, Death & Marriage Records

  1. Birth
  2. Death
  3. Marriage

Birth Records

In Iowa, official registration of births began July 1, 1880.   To obtain a raised-seal, certified copy of a birth record you can request a copy in writing or come into the office. If you were not born in Washington County, contact the county in which you were born or Iowa Department of Public Health at 866-809-0290.  However, births from 1986 to present are available at any county.  For births outside of Iowa, you will need to contact the vital records department in that state.  County recorders are by law not authorized to have records of single-parent births prior to 1986, adoptions, delayed registrations, legal name changes, and records ordered sealed by a court of law.  These must also be obtained from the Iowa Department of Public Health. Births between the years 1921 to 1941 are not available by mail.   

Certified copies (with raised-seal) are $15.00 per copy, are not refundable and are only available to entitled parties (person on the record, parents, children, spouse, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren).  Legal guardians and representatives must provide additional proof of entitlement.  Applicants must be 18 years or older.

Contact the Recorder's Office or visit for an application to request an Iowa Vital Record. 

The Washington County Recorder’s Office will issue certified copies to authorized individuals only; to do otherwise is a violation of Iowa law.

Mail Requirements:

1)   Complete the Application form

2)   Application must be notarized

3)   Include photocopy of current, government-issued photo ID

4)  Certified copy cost:  $15.00 (non-refundable)               

Mail to:   Washington County Recorder’s Office

                 PO Box 889

                 Washington IA  52353
Once we receive your request we will mail it by the following day.

To obtain a copy in person you will need a current, government-issued photo ID and $15.00 in cash, money order, check or credit card. 


 The Recorder’s Office cannot perform genealogy research.  Our records are open for public viewing during regular office hours. To obtain genealogy information you may contact the Washington Genealogical Society at Other sources that may help are the Iowa Genealogy Society or the State Historical Society of Iowa.